[News]     [General Help]     [Regional Research]


Diese Seite ist auch auf Deutsch verfuegbar.

German Genealogy: Province Posen 

Summary

                   Coat of Arms of Province Posen

General Information

Map with districts (Kreise) of province Posen (in preparation)
Town-list with affiliation to district (in planning)

Local geography of the Province Posen (around 1910) [only in german]


A part of Greater Poland was annexed by King Friedrich II of Prussia in 1772 during the first partition of Poland and became the name Netzedistrict. During the second partition of Poland in 1793 the remainder of the province Posen was annexed by King Friedrich William II of Prussia and called South Prussia.

After the Prussian defeat by Napoleon Bonaparte, the area of Posen was united with the Grand Duchy of Warsaw (1807-1815). By loosing the power of Napoleon also the Grand Duchy of Warsaw fell and Prussia got the province Posen back (1815-1919). The province Posen is partitioned into the administrative districts (Regierungsbezirke) Posen and Bromberg. The capital of the province is Posen (Poznan).

After First World War Posen became part of the new formed Poland. Germany occupied the province Posen in the Second World War (1939-1945) and called it Warthegau. Into 1945 Posen was returned to Poland and the German population was expelled.

A historical representation in more detail of the province Posen and the Kingdom of Poland can be read here.



The highest court of the province Posen was the Supreme Court (Oberlandesgericht) in Posen (Poznan).

The lower courts were:

For the administration of justice at the Superior Courts (Landgerichte) were courts of assizes (3 judge and 12 jurors) formed and at the Inferior Courts (Amtsgerichte) were courts of lay assessors (1 judge of the Inferior Court and 2 lay assessors) formed. 


Beside of water ways and a quantity of high roads there is a large number of railways for traffic within the province and outward. Around 1910 there were the following railways:


The superintendance of the entire church policy was by the state. The highest evangelical church function in the province Posen was the Generalsuperintendent. The catholic church was led by the archbishops in Gnesen and Posen. 


For the education there were numerous elementary and middle schools, higher girl's schools and higher teaching institutes in the province. For the teacher training there were teacher's training colleges and "Praeparanden" institutes. Deaf-mutes and blind ones were teached in special institutes.

Around 1910 there were the following institutes:


In larger cities an important number of soldiers of different branches of service were situated. The ranks of the administrative district Bromberg belonged to 2nd Army corps with command headquarters in Stettin, those of the administrative district Posen belonged to 5th Army corps with command headquarters in Posen. Posen and Bromberg were the most important garrisons. The other garrison towns were: Gnesen, Hohensalza, Schneidemuehl, Fraustadt, Lissa, Rawitsch, Krotoschin, Ostrowo, Wreschen and Schrimm.

[Top of document]


Genealogical and Historical Societies

Note: The specified societies are voluntary organizations, which operate with honorary persons. Inquiries should be attached by return postage; if it concerns inquiries, which require larger research, also a small donation.

[Top of document]


Genealogical and Historical Sources

[Top of document]


Gazetteers and Maps

[Top of document]


Bibliography and Literature

[Top of document]


Archives and Libraries

 

[Top of document]


Miscellaneous Subjects

[Top of document]


Other Resources (including Internet)

[Top of document]


Created by Rick Heli with contribution of Adalbert Goertz and Jim Eggert. 
Enlarged and revised by Thomas Wildeboer (03-Oct-1999). Last update: 12-Jun-2000 (TW)
Please forward any comments and additions to this WWW-Page to: Th. Wildeboer or to: WebMaster